I just came across these pictures and realized I never blogged about our plot in the new Community Garden in our neighborhood. We have an 8' x 16' plot that we tilled, filled with soil, added a drip irrigation system and planted. We share the plot with three other families to be sure that our little garden doesn't get neglected when kids are sick, when one of us takes vacation, etc. We successfully grew green bell peppers, red bell peppers, jalapenos, cantaloupes, a few cherry tomatoes, dill herb, and rosemary. Three of our tomato plants never produced anything and our strawberries only grew little, tiny fruits that ended up shriveling right away. Hopefully they'll do better next year. We plan to pull up the non-producing tomato plants and put some pumpkin seeds in the ground very soon! Ava, and the other kiddos who share the plot with us, have really enjoyed being involved in the process of gardening and understanding now how vegetables and fruit grow. Ava helps me water the plants and loves to get to pick the ripe veggies and fruit!
Here is a picture of Adam, Carolyn (one of my friends who shares the plot with us) and me getting our empty plot ready for planting. A sweet little boy from a neighboring plot was giving us a hand since Carolyn and I had our arms full of babies!

They had a tent set up this day for the kiddos to paint pots and plant a flower.

Adam and I are so happy to be a part of our Community Garden and the fact that we get the chance to teach Ava and Elizabeth about community, gardening and loving the earth.
I'll blog updated pics of our plot soon!
1 comment:
A community garden is such a great idea. Not only fresh vegetables, but educating the girls and helping the environment as well. I look forward to seeing the garden grow.
Post a Comment